Monday, February 27, 2006

Wal-Mart Can't Stand Cancer Survivors

My horror story involves Sam’s Club - which, as you probably know, is owned by Wal-Mart. I am a volunteer with the American Cancer Society here in Maine, and a cancer survivor myself. I needed to purchase a number of items for the upcoming ACS Relay for Life and went to Sam’s to buy in bulk. I don’t have a Sam’s Club membership so I explained to the store manager that I was purchasing items for charity and asked if I could have a 1-day pass to shop.

The manager flat-out REFUSED.

She told me that I could buy a membership for $35, but that she wouldn’t let me in for 1-day … even if it was for charity. Can you imagine?! I was outraged. I wasn’t asking for a discount. I wasn’t asking for a donation. I was asking to be allowed in to make a CASH PURCHASE on behalf of a charity, and this company refused.

How stingy and less civic-minded could a company get?

This is a new low for even Wal-Mart. I wrote Sam’s Club president and the chairman of Wal-Mart, but doubt they will ever respond. The best we can do is to stop shopping with this company and hope their karma catches up with them.

jwojo@maine.rr.com