Thursday, December 24, 2009

Injured? It's Always Your Fault at Wal-Mart


In the state of Ohio Walmart is a "self-insured employer". What this means is that if a employee is injured on the job, that Walmart will pay out of pocket all the medical bills and lost wages.


The Industrial Commission of Ohio overseas the process in their hearings.
I was injured earlier this year when I lifted a box for a customer to put onto a blue cart.
I reported the injury to the assistant manager on duty who took over an hour to "arrange" a member of management to take me to the emergency room of the local hospital.


This manager did not leave my side until I asked him to leave so I could speak privately to the attending doctor.


He returned within two minutes and never left again.
During this visit to the emergency room, the member of management sent with me brought along a drug testing kit which he had the emergency room doctor administer which made her most question the manager.
Now it is almost a year since the accident and I have gone through the hearing process in the Industrial Commission of Ohio and I have lost all appeals.
My attorney tells me that I now have to sue Walmart in regular court and it will be two and a half years until I get into the first hearing. In the mean time I am responsible for all the medical bills incured by this injury or I will be put into collection.
When I applied for employment at Walmart, I was told how "we are team!"
Well, Walmart is not a team player.
In the application, Walmart says that all injuries are taken care of by Walmart. They lied. This is a breach of contract.
Walmart is no better than a robber taking your wallet on the street.