Friday, June 05, 2020

Walmart Purposefully Ripping Off Customers

I believe Wal-Mart gets rid of associates who are aware of the sneaky ways the store cheats its customers.  They reward the young cashiers who scan 1,000 items per hour because they are unaware why Wal-Mart wants them to go that fast--so they cannot see to catch the "mistakes" and neither can the customers.

As a cashier for 8 years I rang up a customer's reduced bakery purchase for $1.20.  Immediately, the cash register rang up $4.99 for shrimp.  The lady never bought shrimp.  I called this to the attention of the boss, but nothing was ever done although it happened to me several more times.  A lady bought a pair of slack that said on the tag $8.98, but the UPC rang up $9.98.  A man bought his child pants and the same thing happened.  On the 4th of July weekend, hot dog and hamburger buns were on sale for $1.18 a package, but for all 3 days of the sale they rang up the full price of $1.28.  I had to override the register the whole time because no one did anything about the discrepancy although I repeatedly told them about it. 

Management declared me too slow to cashier, so they sent me to the Photo Lab which was also Site-to-Store.  My boss worked the photo lab and left before I clocked in for the day.  She priced the customer's ten 5x7 photos as $78.00 because she hit the wrong UPC in the book with the price machine.  Then she put it in the file cabinet.  I took it out when the customer came and hollered because the price was outrageous.  

Of course, the correct price was $17.00.  Then a customer wanted his prepaid futon.  It had been unloaded near the dock in the drenching rain.  It had been pushed up against the mop basin.  Another futon was piled on top and then a very heavy box of playground equipment was piled on top of that.  He refused his futon.  One had been soaked and ripped and the other had a soaked box which probably leaked into the futon itself.  

The boss told him it was just a little damp on the box and not the futon.  He didn't take it.  Later, I was reduced from 40 hours a week to 22.5 hours a week.  My last weekly schedule was 9 hours a week. 

So when the customers complain that Wal-Mart workers don't need $10.00 an hour, tell them that it isn't just about Wal-Mart workers' hourly wages.  What good is $10.00 an hour if you're only working 9 hours a week.

Also, what do the customer think Wal-Mart is doing to them?  I hope they check their receipts before they ring up the bill or at least before they leave the store.